Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No way, no how, no McCain

I enjoyed Hillary's speech last night. I must admit, I was not riveted to the screen. I missed some here and there, taking out garbage, scooping cat litter, etc., but overall I was happy with the clarity of her message to support Barack. I also think she stayed on point about women's rights, and didn't dilute that part of the message. The image of a glass ceiling with 18 million cracks in it was a good one.

I did wonder if they might have rushed her through the speech a bit, though, because some of the best lines were a little swept up in applause. Had she paused longer to allow for applause, the next lines would have had more impact, because the lead-in would have been heard. I liked her line that her mother had been born before women had the vote, and her daughter had been able to vote for her mother for president.

Given the possible outcomes, however, I think she really pulled off an excellent speech to rally around Obama. Let's just hope her supporters were convinced. I don't see how they could possibly consider McCain. Of course, I don't see how anyone could, but I try to stay in parts of the country that help me feel like we are in the majority. Which we haven't been, for a while now. Keep your fingers crossed that we will be inspired enough this election to get out the vote and make change real.

No comments: