Monday, August 4, 2008

Farm Frenzy

Reflecting on our recent vacation, I have many things to be grateful for. I loved having a chance to stay in a place together with my family, and the opportunity to watch my daughter re-connect with them. That was the best part, really.I also enjoyed the time she and I spent amusing ourselves in Hood River. We had a few days in the beginning of the week on our own, plus some time here and there where just the two of us headed out for something. Of those adventures, I think my favorite was our tour of the "Fruit Loop." No, not the breakfast cereal, they call it that for whatever reason but it's a group of farms in the Hood River area that work together to attract tourists and visitors to their farms. We just went to a few places, but the drive was beautiful and the produce divine. We got veggies to make salsa and a strata, fruit to snack on, jam to feast on and of course some pie for a special treat.A beautiful drive is not typically something my four year-old would get fired up about, but in this case we were spotting all of the farm animals and fruit trees. I would point out the pears, cherries and apples, and she was practically vibrating with excitement in the backseat. I love it that she enjoys food and is excited by seeing where it comes from, and I was surprised and pleased that even just driving by orchards and fields she was having a ton of fun. I have been thinking of heading out to some farms nearer to home and now I know that it would certainly be worth a little driving to do it. I think it will be good for me, too, especially if we go to some of the farms that supply our store and farmer's markets. Just to walk on that land and see the food growing will remind me to do my part in making good, sustainable choices and eating well.

No comments: