Saturday, August 30, 2008

Fun with Food

At the Phinney Ridge Farmer's Market yesterday, Adelaide and I got to partake in a fun twist on local food: zucchini car races. Kids were given the raw materials to build a vehicle and a ramp with lanes to race on. After we got home, loaded up with berries and peppers and a whole stroller full of beautiful veggies and fruit, Adelaide added a slick paint job to the cars. The wheels go on with a bead (inside) and a nail, in case you'd like to try this at home.

Today we had a nice stretch of sun in the afternoon so we headed out to the garden to check on our own harvest. The cherry tomatoes are in all stages of ripeness so we've been popping them in our mouths as they come, and we've been digging and eating potatoes now for over a month. Adelaide wanted to make soup for supper, so we dug some fingerlings and red potatoes, picked a few yellow squash, and some fresh herbs from the side yard. We found some pretty funny spuds as we combed through the dirt, and got a little creative before chopping them up.I wish I had thought to take a picture of the soup, but it was too delicious to pause for photos. We added some spinach, onions, gnocchi, and Quorn (faux chicken) to make a creamy but not too heavy soup. I made a roux to thicken it and also blended about 1/4 of the potatoes with the broth and added it back in. I wished I had some fresh thyme but will save that for next time. I foresee many potato based meals in the coming months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how your blog is mostly about food with some politics thrown in. You probably have enough going for a nice recipe book, perhaps a politically correct recipe book. Anyway, I really love the Zucchini race cars. With my extra z, I just take them to work and leave them on a table; my coworkers mysteriously snap them up. And with my politics, well I do my best not to discuss such at work. Keeps the atmosphere calmer. love j