Sunday, January 11, 2009

Family Circus

Remember the comic "Family Circus?" Or maybe I shouldn't say "remember," because it might still be being published. But when I think of it, I think of being a kid and finding it to be sappy and dumb. At some point I realized that there was a formula in place, a rotating group of themes which had slightly different content but basically the same message. There was the one where you see a trail of where the kid had been in the yard and house, and the things uprooted along the way. There's the one where something is broken and the kids blame "Ida Know," a ghost-like figure hovering in the background. There's the one where Daddy (Bill Keane) is on vacation so little Billy writes the comic, and the lettering is backward here and there and the drawings are like a kid did them. And then my favorite, the super sappy one with a reference to God or some other overused platitude.

I was trying to think of how I could do a blog post like the "daddy's on vacation" themed comic. As I write, Adelaide is waiting for me to give her some attention. So I explained to her that I wanted to see if she would be my guest author today. She asked me this:
Can I just do some words and like that time in the car when we were going to school you helped me spell them?

I told her yes, and she is ready to write. Over to you, guest blogger:When I was riding past a tree on my way to my friend's house, I saw something weird. It was "Hi, I'm Jeffery Bones. Have you ever seen a detective as good as me? I find all kinds of Nature. What do you do? I bet you don't find yellow cats every Sunday! I find them every Sunday, and I also find green blue jays, yellow forests, and even orange trees. You know what I like to find best? I like to find little girls on bikes with their moms."

It was hard to believe it, but that's what I saw! I love you grandma and grandpa, and I hope you enjoy my message. This was when I was out biking to Rachel's house. She's my friend. She has a little boy Noah that I like to play with. He has an igloo and a tunnel in his house. But I sure do like that Jeffrey Bones. And on the way back, instead of Jeffrey Bones, I saw this pirate that was wearing fourteen chains of emerald sapphires. He said to me, "Would you like to be a hugging pirate when you grow up? 'Cause that's what happens with lost kids. Maybe you could get lost and turn into one of me. We just sit around and watch television all the day."


No comments: