Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cuban Black Beans

One of my Sunday habits is to cook a dish or two to enjoy in the upcoming week. Some weeks I spend several hours shopping, chopping and simmering (me and the food!). This week I found myself with a few too many odds and ends to finish for a really indulgent cooking session, but I did want to lay in some stores for healthy lunches at work. Some of my favorite dishes are ones which can transform as the week goes on, so I can prevent leftover burn-out.

Today's lunch is cuban black beans with corn tortillas. I'll bake or roast a couple of sweet potatoes later today to have with them in burritos or with some rice or seven-grain pilaf (Kashi makes a mix which is really good and easy to throw on the stove on a busy weeknight). Later in the week I'll toss whatever's left into a soup with some greens or make a chili with quinoa.

While the sweet potatoes are in I'll take advantage of the oven being on and bake up a stack of tofu cutlets for the week. These will go into a number of meals and also be on hand for a quick snack as an alternative to bread items.

It can be challenging to eat healthy, not-processed food during the busy work week, so the more I can have done ahead, the more likely we won't be sliding down the slippery slope of convenience foods.

1 comment:

alwayshasanopinion said...

I think black beans are one of the most beautiful foods.
Gerry has been adding Soy Chorizo from Trader Joe's and has made several very delicious and spicey treats.
Yah, to black beans!!