Friday, January 23, 2009

Where were you?

It was quite a day on Tuesday. The degree of excitement and participation here in Seattle was high. My plans were to witness the swearing-in surrounded by my students, kids for whom this day will not be history but rather the way things are. Kids for whom the door has been opened. American kids who speak 54 different languages and whose skin color has more than 54 different shades.
My plans were foiled by circumstances of my job which I cannot write about, but which are highly frustrating. Let me just say that the very fact that the people responsible for me missing the chance to celebrate with my students and colleagues did not witness the inauguration, which blows my mind. History was made, and they were in a room, fuming about something else.

I refused to miss it, and took a 20 minute break to see it happen live. It was an oasis in a rough morning. I was entirely transported into a world where the big picture is in view and people come together to make a change for the better.

The rest of the day was also challenging. It was a relief when I finally was on my way home with Adelaide in the car, and we were able to talk about our new President. Adelaide was very excited to watch Obama get sworn in, and wanted to do it right away when we got home. We waited until bedtime, and then turned to YouTube to witness it again.

This time, I watched Obama, but mostly I watched Adelaide. I'm sure she didn't understand everything in his speech, and we didn't watch it in its entirety, but her gaze was fixed and her attention was total. I was glad, because I hope that this election will be something she is able to remember later. She certainly will remember Obama, as he will be her President for a good portion of her childhood.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I'm so glad you were able to at least see the moment. GRRR to "circumstances"! I was with friends, in a theater crowded with hundreds of people. There was cheering and whooping and lots of excitement. It was a wonderful day! You were with me, in my heart, of course. Yes! We! Did!!!