Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Electronic Babysitter

More parenting videos on JuiceBoxJungle


This episode seemed as brainless and wishy-washy as kids watching tv can get. Okay, I get it, people have circumstances which make them exert little or no parental controls over the kids' tv viewing. And their suggestions are fine (select the shows for them, watch with the kids, try to engage them in conversation [good luck with that one], limit the time), but if the point is that you need tv for an emergency babysitter or to get dinner made, you aren't going to be watching alongside the children, now are you?

TV watching is one of the battles I've picked, and frankly, it hasn't been a battle at all. At least not with my kid. Maybe internally, when I've wanted to get a break but haven't. Not to say that there is no TV viewing whatsoever in our house (I have become a far bigger consumer of TV since becoming a parent, aka not having a life), but for the child it is very limited. She absolutely loves it when she gets a chance, and it works perfectly when I really need it, but only because it is so rare. And because I don't rely on it to get dinner made, neither does she. Of course, I only have one kid, and I have many other advantages that have made that choice possible for me.

I guess I just think that our society in general needs to practice more intentionality in the media they expose themselves and their children to. After all, you could end up watching Lost.

No comments: