Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Everything's Better by Bike

Today I biked to a yoga class about 6 miles from home. I had to slog up a set of very steep hills, wait at lots of red lights, weave in and out of traffic and avoid parked cars. It was delightful, and put me in a terrific mood. I chatted with 3 different other cyclists, ran into an old friend on the street, and generally felt in touch with my surroundings.

Because it's summer and fairly warm, I also overheard several people in their cars. They were waiting at the same red lights as me, dealing with traffic and bridges and other cars, and they were not at all happy. Two people kept their grousing to half-yelling to themselves, and one guy took it further and screamed out his pickup's window at another cyclist about riding on the sidewalk to stay out of his way. Veins were popping out of his thick red neck.

Seems like my way worked a bit better.

No comments: