Monday, April 27, 2009

Modern Living

This morning we had a dilemma. Adelaide is sick today and on the couch in her pj's. When we talked about breakfast, she really wanted a muffin from the store across the street, but she didn't want to come with me to get it. Normally I would give her the choice of going or having something else for breakfast, but given the fact that she hadn't eaten for several meals I wanted to be more accommodating.

The solution: I took my cell phone with me and we talked as I walked over, bought her muffin (and a double espresso for me, it's going to be a long day), and walked home. Four minutes total, and she thought it was really fun. After the first minute she turned her book on cd on and I was not allowed to speak, only respond if she spoke to me. Of course, I might have liked four minutes of not being told "stop talking," but it was worth it to know she was safe and not afraid.

No comments: