Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Above and Beyond

Having lived here in Seattle for most of my adult life, and being a creature of habit, I tend to frequent a few restaurants and shops repeatedly. A few of these places I am known by name, my order (and Adelaide's) is often known, and we have learned the names of the people there. I enjoy being a "regular," it makes me feel good to greet people by name and have something of a connection with them.

This morning on my trip to the PCC (a lovely natural foods grocery store which I frequent daily, sometimes more than once), the cashier asked after my health. Susannah is a delightful woman, and I see her chatting with many of her customers. She probably knows many of their names and has a personal connection with them that brightens their day. She is very kind and patient with Adelaide, and lets her come and push buttons on her register if it's not too busy. We've been lucky enough to have her over once or twice on her break since we live nearby the store, and more than once we have found a package of muffins or a sheet of stickers for Adelaide by our door when we've arrived home.

These kind of exchanges are such little things, but I just imagine that if the world had more of them, it would have such a positive effect on our society. It is so uplifting when someone does something nice for you, or when you have a chance to do it for someone else.

As I was leaving the store today, Susannah asked me to pick out some tulips for myself on my way out, as a gift from her. She wanted to brighten up my home and my day, knowing that I have been quite sick and struggling. My first impulse was to think it was too much, that I couldn't accept, but I reminded myself that accepting kindness is part of grace, and I really can use a little kindness right now.

So now I have a spot of color and beauty in my home on a cold and rainy day. The cats and I are enjoying our flowers tremedously, and even more the feeling of gratitude and hope that they represent.



No comments: