Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dressing Down


This morning when I dropped off my daughter at her school, I got some compliments on my outfit. The teachers there could tell that it was back to work for real for me today (as opposed to off to the gym, or off to work but alone in my office). But one comment hit me the wrong way. A teacher that I really like told me I had the “perfect teacher outfit.”

I shouldn't be insulted. I shouldn't really even care what someone says about my clothes, because in general I don't really care very much about clothes. Which is probably apparent give the way I typically dress. But, today, I cared. I chose carefully, and felt satisfied with the result. Over the summer I went through my closet and weeded out items which I don't wear. Some didn't fit, some just didn't work, some were alarmingly old and had gotten lost in the mess. So, now my closet is actually a place I can find what I am looking for. Very satisfying.

I also decided to upgrade a little bit in terms of what kinds of clothes I might wear to work. Not really in price, but rather I thought I might not wear jeans every single day. So I went through my skirts and dresses and dress pants and found some things I can wear to look a little more like I made an effort.

Today's outfit was chosen because it is the first day of school, among other reasons. I wanted to look nice, and show a little effort. To me, “perfect teacher outfit” does not match what I had in mind. It calls to mind long jean skirts and sweaters that tell a story. Glasses on a chain and jewelry in the shape of zoo animals. Most of the teachers I work with are much better dressed than I am, and these images I am describing are things I don't actually see very often. But when you see them, they scream out “teacher outfit.”

At the end of the day, I am happy with what I chose. I felt comfortable but not too casual, and it worked for what I wanted. I just have to remind myself that ultimately I just don't care enough for clothing choices to matter. Even when I do step out and try to care a little bit.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

C, you look gorgeous! I think by "perfect teacher outfit" she must have meant "Dressed and professional, yet casual enough to be warm and welcoming to little minds. Crisp but comfortable. Easy but put together." That's what she meant. :)

Anonymous said...

she meant that you looked beautiful and professional where as she often notices that her "teacher attire" looks like she just crawled out of bed. <3

Christine said...

It wasn't you, Tif! But even if it were, this post was about my own tendency to crawl out of bed and head to school without a lot of grooming in between!

Anonymous said...

well... i vote that whoever said that had the same intentions. i get excited for the day that i have a position that involves a little less snot and paint so i can wear a perfect teacher outfit too! :)