Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Writers' block? (Punctuation intentional)

I signed up for a fiction writing course this summer through the UW's Experimental College. I initially looked into a community college class but between figuring out the online coursework and paying the tuition I decided the EC was the way to go. Online study is actually probably better for my life right now, given the schedule we keep, but I felt there was something to sitting in a room with other people trying to write and having to read my writing to them. At least I'm assuming that we will be reading and critiquing each other, but perhaps I'm just thinking of writing classes I see on tv shows of college students. I don't actually remember reading anything aloud in my classes in college.

The strange thing is, I've felt a little more self-conscious about writing on my blog since signing up for the class. I haven't posted since then, in fact. Class doesn't start for a couple more weeks, and it's a totally different kind of writing, but that classroom full of other writers is in the back of my mind now. I think there is a fine line between keeping one's audience in mind and not becoming overwhelmed by the thought of an audience. Fortunately this blog doesn't exactly generate hoards of readers so I will likely get over this phase. I'm anxious to get started with the class to see what I think of the instructor and find out whether it provides me with the framework I'm looking for to kickstart my writing.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Youse rigth gud, ailrudy, I reckon.

Hee.

No, seriously, the class sounds great. I can't wait to hear/see/read what you do with it! Fun!