Thursday, June 19, 2008

Black bean pizza with cornmeal crust

Got home from the park late this afternoon and needed a quick dinner. Grabbed a frozen cornmeal crust to make pizza only to discover no tomato sauce, no canned tomatoes, and a used-up tomato paste tube in the frig door. So, time to improvise.

I did find a can of black beans in my search for tomato product, and a few fresh cherry tomatoes, so I decided to go Mexican, and think of it like a super thick tostada. I sauteed a big hunk of garlic in some olive oil, added some cumin and oregano for a minute before the beans (mostly drained). Mashed them together with my potato masher and let all the remaining liquid cook off. Spread the bean paste on the crust, topped it with the cherry tomatoes (halved) and some cheddar on the kid side. Baked it until the crust was golden brown and served it with some steamed asparagus.I think next time I might add some jalepeno to heat it up a bit, or cook the beans with onion and cider vinegar for a little more zip on the cheeseless side.

No comments: