Thursday, June 19, 2008

Road Trip

I goofed at bedtime tonight. Okay, I was tired, and my ankle hurt, and I just wanted to get out of there. So I refused to tell an extra bedtime story and said instead "think about what you might want to bring on our trip tomorrow." Whoops. I am forgetting two things: 4 year-olds have difficulty with time concepts (they live in the moment); and, thinking about what to bring implies that things might get LEFT BEHIND. Forgotten. Not to be seen, played with, or left in the middle of mama's floor for toe-stubbing purposes for the duration of our road trip (2 whole days).

The rest of the evening consisted of our usual "I have to go pee," "one more kiss goodnight," etc., with the lengthy addition of many trips into my room for items to be placed in my "packing pile" for safekeeping. Looks like we can't live without her paper plate mask, wrapped in a blanket, her wooden box, several toys I hadn't even seen in months, and god knows what else she stockpiled in her own "packing pile" once I told her that if I saw her again tonight, we would not be taking any of the items she brought in here with us. Which of course we aren't anyway, but that was definitely not a bedtime discussion.

I might know where she gets it. When I last took off for my yoga retreat (to an island where they have food and bedding), I might have needed 6 or 7 trips to load the car. But my pillow is so comfortable. And if you run out of Kombucha on a yoga retreat you really could ruin the whole weekend. So, if we end up with some random junk with us in Seaside, well, maybe we'll just be glad we didn't leave it behind.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I wish my road trip was ending on the west coast, snuggled up with you and D!! Have so much fun -- I'll be there in spirit. Truly.

Also, A is very wise. You never know when you might need a paper plate mask.

xo! Safe travels!