Monday, June 30, 2008

Aw, Mom!

I went shopping for a few items this morning for our upcoming trip to the midwest. While at the department store, I went into the toys section to pick up something new for the airplane. I generally don't get toys at this particular store, since they are mostly of the plastic + theme + massive variations = demand more of these toys from your parents variety, which we try to avoid. But anything new has some staying power, and that is very necessary on long airplane trips.

I was looking at the dolls and wondering whether I am depriving my kid of some girlhood rite of passage by not exposing her to the big-breasted, low-IQ facial featured, highly accesorized dolls when I spotted some Groovy Girls. I recalled that a friend's daughter liked these toys, and decided this might be the way to go. So I took her down from where she was hanging for a closer look.
She seemed innocuous enough, with one glaring exception -- the bare midrift. Accented by the belly button. So, I did a quality control check, to see if her clothing could be adjusted to the standards I feel are a more appropriate model for my young girl. Turns out, a little yanking and re-aligning of velcro rendered her like this:
So, belly button will remain under shirt for now. But I'm sure no amount of yanking and tugging is going to save me in my future, when my daughter decides "everyone is doing it," whatever it may be. In the meantime I'll try to walk the middle road between high fashion and its pouty, doe-eyed sex kitten toys and how we'd like things to be.

No comments: