Thursday, May 8, 2008

Three Wishes

Today we went to an upscale mall in my old neighborhood for Adelaide's summer haircut. Somehow she has a regular hairstylist while I still take my chances at random barber shops. But this is beside the point.

After her haircut we arranged to meet her dad for dinner at a restaurant conveniently located in the same upscale mall. Not our typical haunt, but food we can all agree on (sushi) with a gimmick to keep our younger family member entertained (conveyor belt with sushi choices zooming all around the restaurant and past your table).

Outside the restaurant there is a big fountain. Adelaide remembered it was there from another haircut trip. While we waited for our table and for Daddy to arrive, I gave her a coin to make a wish.

"Wanna know what I wished for, mom?"
"Do you want to tell me, or keep it a secret?"
"I want to tell you. I wished a really good wish. I wished that everybody's wishes will come true."

"That is a good wish, honey."
"Mom, do you have any more pennies?"
"Actually, I have the penny you gave me this morning, would you like to make a wish with it?"
"Yes."

Run to fountain. Toss in penny. Close eyes tight.

"Mom, want to know what I wished this time?"
"Sure honey."
"I wished that no one will have to die ever again."

Long discussion follows regarding death as part of life, dying being a sad but okay thing when your body is done living, etc. Most of the dialog coming from me, and most of the glazing over happening for her.

Later, after dinner, I come back from the car with her coat and find her and her dad at the fountain. He has given her a coin and she is making another wish. She tosses, I close my eyes, and wish that her wish is for a Barbie doll. Or a cupcake. Or to score a goal in soccer. Because I absolutely love her first two wishes, I really do, but I hope she saves that third wish for herself. For a little bit of joy. For a throw-away desire. For a childhood, childish, silly wish. Cause isn't that why we get three? Two for the important things for other people, and one just to keep for ourselves, for a little smile before we go home.

When I think about my wonderful child, I know that all of my wishes from all of my pennies from all of these years have been granted. And I have a smile on my face on my way home.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This nearly made me cry. Beautiful, C.