Monday, May 26, 2008

This is Just to Say (Spoof)

I have eaten the plums

that were in the icebox

and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast

Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold


Apparently William Carlos Willams wrote this poem (This is Just to Say) and it has been spoofed ever since. This American Life contributors wrote a number of great ones: you can hear it here. (Archive: April 18 2008 show 354: Mistakes Were Made). I have been reading some clever ones (thank you, Google)-- here are my first attempts. Share yours.

This is Just to Say - #1

I have shredded the photos

that were in the back of your drawer

and which you were probably

saving

to remember your ex-girlfriend

Forgive me

they were beautiful

so flat

and so old

This is Just to Say - #2

I have jammed on the brakes

forcing you to do the same

since you were driving

two feet

behind me

Forgive me

you probably thought

you could get there faster

than I am driving

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving these on my site. They are both great, and I particularly like the driving one.

Christine said...

Glad you liked them. I loved reading all of the ones people have posted on your site. It was a fun writing exercise and so fun to listen to the regular This Am. Life contributors versions, no?

Jennifer said...

I love this! I'm definitely going to give it a shot.


p.s. Did you really shred the photos? Hard core, C, hard core! ;)

Christine said...

Check out this one:

http://gingerdead.com/2008/05/07/this-is-just-to-say-spoof-1/