Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Salt Dough Ornaments

The first Christmas I remember being old enough to be excited to give presents rather than just receive them, my mom helped me make salt dough ornaments to give to my grandparents and aunts and uncles. I think I was six, and watching the gifts I had made be unwrapped and hung on the tree was very exciting to me.

Today Adelaide and I made salt dough ornaments for her to give to her teachers at school. She worked hard on this project, excitedly counting and re-counting all of the teachers for whom she wanted to make gifts. She is finding it hard to wait until Friday when she will deliver them to her teachers.
The recipe is simple: 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup water, and 1 cup flour. (I made about a recipe and a half's worth, and we had about 20 two-inch ornaments at the end.) You mix the ingredients and then knead the dough until it's easy to work with.
We rolled it out to about 1/4" thickness. Thicker would be fine, but would need to bake longer.
We had to flour the table a bit since the dough is very soft and stretched easily when lifting it.
I baked them for about an hour at 200 degrees. Some recipes I looked called for 4 hours in the oven, some for 2, but they were starting to brown so I pulled them out after one. I probably had the oven a bit too hot (not having any numbers on the temperature dial can cause some issues!).
We used markers to decorate them, which made it very simple. Later on I might dig out some clear spray to make them a little shinier and help them last, but they look pretty good as is.
This was a fun and easy project, and I think they will make a nice gift for her to give.

No comments: