Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ocean

The first time I saw the Pacific Ocean, I was 17 years old. It was a cool, sunny, beautiful California day, and the waves were gently coming up onto Stinson Beach. My stepmom and I ran in the water, mounded the sand and wrote messages that washed away in the surf, and frolicked long enough that my brother and dad retreated, cold, to the car. I felt unbelievably excited, and alive, and in love.The last time I saw the Pacific Ocean, I felt exactly the same way. And every time in between, it has been the same. This time, I got to enjoy watching Adelaide have that same transformation into an alive and joyful girl who couldn't get enough of the water, the waves, the sand, the treasures of the ocean beach. She literally screamed with excitement and alternated running to the water and collapsing to all fours to feel the sand on her body. Joy.

No comments: