Monday, August 2, 2010

Florida Feast, Part One

We had many wonderful meals as part of Dave's trip, one of which was a seven-course meal at the Versace mansion. We began with cocktails and appetizers in the foyer courtyard.
Then we proceeded into another courtyard for the meal. The pool and mosaic were a beautiful backdrop to the dining area.
First course: beet salad with goat cheese and microgreens. Note table setting contains 3 sets of silverware, which one might (mistakenly) use as a guide to pacing oneself for 3 courses.
Next up, what was my favorite course, scallops served on a puree of potato, with roasted brussel sprouts, fresh peas and some kind of sprout. The combination of textures and flavors in this dish were very delicious.
Third course, seared tuna with greens, cracker with caviar, tomato with sardine, roasted pepper sauce. Very good, but of the tuna salads we ate on the trip (there were many!), not my favorite.
Fourth course (pictured after I had already dug in, oops!): some kind of white fish over Israeli cous cous with eggplant and roasted peppers and onions. Very good, probably the second best dish but I had paced myself for 3 courses and really couldn't manage more than a few bites of it.
Course Five: Not pictured, as I refused to let them serve it to me for fear I would eat it and regret stuffing myself. For the non meat-eaters, some sort of veggie dish which Dave said was good, and for the others, a large hunk of beef tenderloin or prime rib or some other expensive cut of red meat which looked like it could feed a family of 4 for Christmas dinner.

Course six, banana cake with pecan ice cream, fresh strawberries, a fried banana and chocolate straw. Very good but again, only could eat a bite or two given the stuffed state I was in.
This was definitely the best meal I have ever eaten that was prepared and served to such a large group. That is, until the next night at Nobu (see my next post!). It was especially nice to have so many dishes with no meat, not excessively salted or oily or heavy as can happen even with good restaurant food.

No comments: