Saturday, January 23, 2010

Best Lunch Ever

Okay, so maybe I was really hungry after cleaning the house and doing Tae-Bo, but this lunch blew my mind. It basically consisted of random items from the veggie drawer as well as some leftovers, and it was so incredibly delicious I had to post about it.

The key, roasting everything. I know, I know, everyone knows roasted veggies are so wonderfully sweet and delicious you can hardly believe they are the same items you eat steamed or cooked into soups. I eat and enjoy lots of vegetables, but often don't bother to roast them. I really don't know why. In about an hour I had an incredible lunch and enough veggies for several more meals. I was planning on making a stew but once I tasted the veg I just wanted to eat them straight. Threw in a little leftover brown rice and half a veggie sausage for some protein.The veg: half a red cabbage, half a container of grape tomotoes, one red pepper, and half a bag of baby carrots.The seasonings: cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, TJ's seafood grill and broil mix, and red pepper flakes.

I chopped everything up, tossed it in a big salad bowl with a couple of tablespoons (maybe only 1) of high quality olive oil, and stuck in on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Stirred a few times, and took them out when they looked a little brown and fairly soft.
Round two is delicata squash, onions, yams and sweet potatoes. Too full to eat any now, but will make a black bean dish with all the veg tonight or tomorrow and post some follow-up recipes if I can be patient enough to get out the camera before gobbling them down.Cheap, easy, healthy, and delicious.

No comments: