Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bad Hair Day?

Yesterday I had the luxury of a husband and child on an overnight outing together, so I treated myself to a haircut at the walk-in barbershop. I frequently consider getting a haircut and then decide it is not worth wasting my precious little free time to do it. Especially given how long it can take and how hit or miss the result can be.

I brought my book and didn't mind the wait, and when it was my turn I was greeted by a very friendly, older stylist named Liam. He was very thorough and asked me a lot of questions. Most of which I failed. No, I do not own a hairdryer. No, not getting one in the near future. No, I don't use "product" (though I have a few odds and ends cluttering up the bathroom). Yes, I brush my hair when it is wet. No, I am not willing to spend more time on my hair than I already do. I might have felt terrible about being such a styling slacker, but the curious thing was, Liam was also full of compliments about how healthy my hair is, and how shiny, how full and well- cared for. He would lift, snip, and rave. Then he would admonish me for using Pantene. Didn't I know that it contained wax, which will begin to build up on my hair? My luxurious, gorgeous hair that is so beautiful?

I liked Liam and liked the cut he gave me, but I am uncertain how to proceed. I doubt much will change (though I may try to avoid some of the dangerous, terrible sins I have been committing to my poor, defenseless hair), but I also wonder how my hair has possibly managed this level of radiance given my choices. I guess I should just be pleased that it has been cut and I can ignore it again for a few more months.

No comments: