Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Happy Long-Life Meal

Signing out of Yahoo earlier today I glanced at the headlines, as usual, and was drawn to this one:

McDonald’s Happy Meal resists decomposition for six months

It was fitting given yesterdays post about crap staying crap over time, so I clicked the link and viewed the photos of the Happy Meal, taken daily by the artist Sally Davies to determine if any change would occur in appearance over time. I think it would be curious to determine if there were any change in taste or nutrition content as well, but I supposed they'd be hard-pressed to find anyone willing to take a bite of something that looks the same after sitting around for 6 months.

Here's Day One:

And Day One Hundred Eighty:

I'd like to do a similar series of photographs of real food, to show the contrast. I think I would only have to do 6 weeks or less to have a completely transformed plate, whereas the only difference I could detect in these photos were that the french fries seem to have lost a little moisture, and the back of the bun got a sizeable crack in it.

No comments: