Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Seed Takes Root

This afternoon I was laying out some supplies to do my usual cooking and prep for the week, when Adelaide came in the kitchen. She surveyed the veggies and items I had set out, and then asked if she could make herself a plate with some of the things she wanted. I got her a plate and a knife to chop, and she got really into bustling around the kitchen, pulling out more things from the frig and jars in the cupboards, and arranging a little feast for herself on her plate. She had already decided on twice-baked potatoes for her main course, but as we worked more and more items were added and arranged.She had fun setting the table and pouring drinks, and then we sat down to our feast.
I was excited and proud that she was taking her inspiration from the healthy foods around her, and she was proud to have had such a key role in the meal she was about to eat.
She made all kinds of interesting combinations of her raw materials, and at one point she closed her eyes and said "I'm in heaven." (Yes, some of this flair was for my benefit, but we both truly enjoyed the meal.)
She made it almost all the way through her big buffet before being full, and helped clear the table and put the leftovers away. What a great sous-chef!
Tonight was a nice reminder to me to persist in helping my kid enjoy food in a healthy way and to make room for her in my sometimes busy and rushed kitchen. We both benefit if I do.

No comments: