Friday, August 21, 2009

Fun at the Fair -- On a Stick!

During our recent trip to visit family in Wisconsin, we had an afternoon outing to the State Fair. I think it has been more than 20 years since my last Wisconsin State Fair, and while many things have stayed the same, there were some things I don't recall from my youth.

While I do recall eating plenty of delicious and not nutritious food at the fair, I don't recall the obsession with food served "on-a-stick." Within a few minutes of entering the fairgrounds I was drawn to this new phenomenon, and while I'm sure I irritated my family I made it a point to document the many culinary delights I found.

While there were plenty of nice diversions like this:there was also some time spent like this:in order that I might bring to you such tidbits as this:
Okay, I know, who hasn't seen hand-dipped cheese on a stick. And chocolate covered bananas actually pretty much have to be on a stick, and those I can remember from 20 years ago. But these sweet treats:
and these meaty bites:Don't recall having seen that before. Apparently I missed this year's signature item, the deep-fried, chocolate-covered bacon on-a-stick. As well as many, many others. For those of you lamenting having missed your chance at these delights, why not take the advice of the 2009 Wisconsin State Fair Snack Stick Champion, and "ask for us at your favorite gas station."

There may not have been many other vegetarians at this event, but Adelaide and I were drawn to one kindred soul:Now, if I could just get me some rodents "on-a-stick."

No comments: