Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Post-Camp Conversation

Adelaide has been enjoying her camp this week, which has "animals' for the theme. Yesterday they went to an IMAX movie which she told me was about elephants and orangutans and the people who helped them re-establish themselves in the wild. In her telling of it, the orangutans were endangered and scientists helped them become not endangered any more.

She then told me that she wanted to be one of them, and I felt proud that she would want to do interesting and important work as a biologist or similar role. But as she went on to describe in detail the journey the orangutans made back to the jungle, the boat ride, the swinging from the trees, the food they ate, I realized I had misunderstood. She was, in fact, wishing she were an orangutan.

No comments: