Monday, July 21, 2008

Magic

This morning I took a spade out to the potato patch to see what's happening. My planting guide tells me that baby potatoes are ready 2-3 weeks after the plants are finished flowering, which is our current timeframe for most of the plants. After selecting a plant that seemed to be the furthest along, I dug about 2 inches down at its base. In about 2 minutes, I had these:
I think this plant alone will yield 4 or 5 times this amount of potatoes, as I barely dug at all. There are 20 or 25 more plants. If they all do this well, we will have quite the feast! Some of the varieties I planted will store well, so we will be eating them all winter. The others we will enjoy as we harvest and we will pass them along to our friends.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

They are gorgeous!! I've never seen potatoes quite that color before... I love 'em!